Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Hendricks DC30B Resurrection






Recently I found a partially completed Hendricks DC30B 30M transceiver kit on eBay. It is small - a bit larger than a pack of playing cards.  The transceiver is direct conversion, crystal-locked and CW only.  Below is the eBay posting image:

 
The partial kit was advertised as “incomplete, not working and/or for parts”. The image reveals some of the missing parts, Q1 (the final), a toroidal transformer, one capacitor, the case top, etc. For some reason the 78L05 voltage regulator had been removed and replaced but not soldered. I ordered about $5 worth of parts (including the suspect 78L05).

While waiting on the parts, I very carefully went over the construction and found one electrolytic installed backwards. Otherwise, I thought the build quality good.

I wonder why it was abandoned...





Once the missing parts arrived, I followed the extensive assembly instructions available on the web and – to my pleasant surprise, it fired right up. Here's the testing lash-up.



I found a fine resource in the Yahoo DC40Kits email group. I got good advice and welcome encouragement both on and off-list.

 
After testing, I completed the installation in the supplied clamshell chassis half. Unfortunately I could not locate the top – and have yet to find a suitable replacement.

Output was right at 1 Watt with a nice 12.6V supply. I called CQ a lot until I made my first QSO with NK8O in Kansas (image to the left). The antenna was a 30M sloper and Chas gave me a 579. I have since had better luck when 30M was in good shape, usually at night.  (Note:  The K3 was on - but not in use)


Some thoughts:

This was a lot of fun for the price of a couple of fancy coffees for the better half and me. My biggest mistake was to limit myself to the supplied case. I have since learned of several mods which I could have applied easily. My second mistake was to not mount a socket for the crystal. The supplied Xtal (10.120KHz) is nowhere near the usual QRP frequencies.  Personally, I consider the keyer IC WB5BKL-unfriendly.  I have also read of a few design deficiencies – which have not bothered me.

All in all, a fun project.

cln – Nick
WB5BKL

No comments:

Post a Comment