Sunday, August 16, 2015

2015 Skeeter Hunt

The New Jersey QRP Club's Skeeter Hunt will be the last QRP field event for me this summer.  Here's a photo at my favorite spot in Longhorn Cavern State Park:

My score this year was not as good as in previous outings (I will blame it on propagation), but I did have a good time - as usual.  Also, temperatures were not as hot as in previous years - it only reached around 104F - but there was a breeze most of the time and I had nice shade from two cedar trees.
This year - just for fun - I tried my first video:  Click here.


Since I run Linux, I used 'Openshot'.  After a couple of tutorials on the web and a couple of misfires, I got the basic concepts and I had a lot of fun working on it.  

This year had a couple of other firsts - I visited with my first park ranger/employee (this location is quite a ways from the main park area) and explained how I managed the antennas (a fishing pole, 7-pound-test line and a brightly colored sinker along with nylon twine).  And, yes, they went up and down each visit.

Also, I found this, which was interesting.  This area is moderately popular for its view of the Colorado River, Kingsland (the closest town) and Packsaddle Mountain (SOTA:  W5T/EF-003).  Not too bad a location for that purpose, I guess.  Not exactly my first choice, but as my old friend Murel used to say, "That's why there are red cars and green cars and blue cars..."

My thanks to the NJQRP Club and to W2LJ (the organizer - who I actually worked!).

Had fun.

WB5BKL - Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment