Sunday, October 25, 2020

K75 - Cleaning the Fuel Injectors -

Recently fuel tank contamination apparently did a number on the fuel pump and filter on my 1994 K75.  After cleaning the tank, I found, as expected, the fuel injectors were apparently blocked and not working.  

A search for help from local repair shops yielded nothing.  Sending them off to a BMW shop would be about $50 a pop - plus postage.

I elected to try to clean them myself.


I wish I could tell you I came up with this, but I did not.  Here is a link to the video where I got the idea.  He is working on injectors from a modern BMW R-bike.  His cleaner appears at about 7:30 into the video.

And to the right is my interpretation of the same cleaner.

The switch is a micro switch from the junk box.  I did not have the proper connector so I had to adapt some female connectors from a plug - also from the junk box.  The syringe I found for $1 in the veterinary department of our local feed store (click on the images to make them larger).  I did replace all the O-rings (FEL-PRO ES 70599  - at the local auto parts store) - about $8 for two packages of 4.

 

 The cleaner proved very successful.

 I used ethanol (denatured alcohol)  first, then B-12 Chemtool.  I think the ethanol did the most good for the contamination I had.  

Re-fitted the injectors to the rail (which I also cleaned),  buttoned everything up and the K75 started up after about 3 seconds of cranking.  

Very pleased.  My sincere thanks to Doug Rost.


cln

No comments:

Post a Comment