Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mounting an AME Mini-B Single Lever Paddle

In 2011, I bought an American Morse Equipment Mini-B Single Lever Paddle kit for use in the Flight of the Bumblebees.

The paddle is nicely made and the kit went together well, but there is one 'feature' that would make me rate it 4.5 out of 5 on eHam.  There is only one mounting screw.

The FotBBs event encourages portable operation, so I set up near Longhorn Cavern State Park here in Texas.  At the start of the contest it was 104F and at the end 108F.  I had to hold the paddle to keep it from rotating from my heavy-handed keying.  After a few QSOs the K1 began inserting a few extra dits and dahs.  I finally noticed that the combination of sweat and my brushing against the exposed dot and dash adjustment screws were the cause.  I decided that this year, I would mount the paddle more securely.


I decided to place a stop inside the key base instead of outside (which would have been much easier).

 First I traced the shape of the bottom of the paddle on paper using a pencil lead as shown here.  On the same paper, I made sure I knew the location of the single screw.




I then carefully cut out the tracing and transferred the pattern to two tongue depressors I had glued together (they were handy and two were about the right thickness).  I then carved away everything that did not look like the hole in the base  :-) , leaving an opening for the cable connection.






I glued the stop to my small clipboard and drilled holes for the single screw and a tie-wrap for the cable.




 Here is a picture of everything assembled.  I hope that this and lower temperatures will make the 2012 FotBBs more enjoyable.


Nick - WB5BKL

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Nick--

    Being in the market for this toy (uh, tool, yeah!), I've been looking for this kind of mod, as the single mounting screw makes one think twice (especially already having the Porta Paddle II).

    Though I've got another suggestion, with perhaps "cleaner" implementation: how about with the exiting cable guide screw, get the same screw but longer, a fitted bushing to make up the space between the plastic cable guide and mounting surface, and there you go--your second mounting screw!

    I will attempt this procedure when I have the unit in my hands, sometime in the future. Just wanted to share....

    73 de HL4ZFA

    ReplyDelete
  2. HL4ZFA:

    Now that's a great idea. I can think of several sources for the small bushing - even without looking at the junkbox. Thanks for sharing!

    Nick - WB5BKL

    ReplyDelete